FANSchool Sport Builder


Baseball Tops Brown 2-1; Game Two Postponed Until Monday At Noon

April 1, 2007

Box Score

ITHACA, N.Y. - The Cornell baseball team grinded out a game one 2-1 win over Brown before rain postponed game two after just an inning and a half on Sunday at Hoy Field. The teams will try again for the second game tomorrow at noon.

Game one saw the Big Red capitalize on timely pitching and situational hitting to capture a 2-1 decision in game one. Domenic DiRicco's suicide squeeze with one out in the bottom of the fifth inning scored Adam Jacobs and broke a 1-1 tie. Stephen Osterer and Blake Hamilton made it stand up out of the bullpen, pitching four hitless innings to take the win and save, respectively. Starter David Rochefort grinded out three innings, allowing just one run and stranding eight runners. He escaped trouble twice with two-out strikeouts.

Brown took a 1-0 lead in the second inning, taking advantage of a single, three walks and a wild pitch to plate the lone run on a bases loaded walk by Rochefort. The Big Red evened the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the third when DiRicco's grounder to short was enough to score Jacobs to knot the game. Osterer took over in the top of the fourth and, except for some early wildness, had little drama. The sophomore didn't allow a base runner get past second base, while Hamilton put the Bears down quickly in the seventh, shutting the door for his first save.

Scott Hardinger went 2-for-2, while both Jacobs and Nathan Ford also had singles. Jacobs finished 1-for-1 with a walk and scored twice in the seven-inning victory. Will Weidig took the hard-luck loss, allowing just four hits and two runs in his complete game loss.

In game two, the Big Red scored two runs in the first inning on a two-run, two-out single by Hardinger down the left field line to score Jimmy Heinz and DiRicco. Brown threatened in the second, pushing runners to second and third with two outs, but a pitch bounded away from Jacobs and the runners attempted to advance. The junior pounced on the ball quickly and he was able to fire to pitcher Toma Walker for the third out at the plate to keep Brown off the board. The Big Red put its first two runners on in the second before a steady rain started falling harder and caused both teams to pack it in for a rain delay.

The two teams will meet on Monday to play game two in its entirety, wiping out all stats accumulated in the inning and a half. Monday's contest is scheduled for a noon start at Hoy Field.

See the Baseball Headlines